Bada Imambara(Great) was built by Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula (A.D. 1775-1797) and designed by Kifayatullah , a famous architect of that period, for holding majlis and observing Muharram rituals in the honour of martyrdom of Imam Hasan and Hussain. It consists of the main Imambara building, the mosque, known as Asafi mosque, Shahi Baoli (stepped well) two triple gateways approached through three successive court ,the Nakkar Khana or Naubat Khana (Drum House).
Chhatar Manzil Complex consists of Kothi Farhat Baksh, Badi Chhatar Manzil, Kothi Darshan Bilas and Chhoti Chhatar Manzil , etc.The Farhat (giver of delight) palace together with adjoining building formed the principal residence of Awadh sovereigns from the time of Saadat.Ali Khan until Wajid Ali Shah built the Kaiser Bagh. This originally formed residence of General Claude Martin, by whom the palace was built and afterwards sol d to Nawab Sa,adat Ali Khan who built the Chhatar Manzi I but additions were made later on to the palace bysuccessive rulers.
The name comes from the gilt “chhattar” or umbrella at the top of the dome of main building. The Chhatar Manzil pal.aces were important strongholds of the freedom fighters in 1857.At present , it is used as the office and laboratory of Central Drug Research Insti tute (CDRI) and is a State protected monument.
Popularly known as Chhota Imambara,it was built by Muhammad Ali Shah,(A.D. 1837-1842) the third king of Awadh. The Imambara complex has, within an enclosure wall, a hammam a mosque and a tomb with its jawab. Opposite the main entrance stands the Nakkar Khana or Naubat Khana, along with gateways on either side. Its arcaded exterior is adorned with Quranic verses in the praise of Hazrat Ali, along with geometrical and arabesque designs.The vaulted roof of the structure is capped by a gilded dome in the centre with a cupola on either side. In front of it, there is a large courtyard, where a rectangular raised tank occupies much of the central space,partly spanned by a small bridge. In the inner hall of the Imambara,are the graves of King Muhammad Ali Shah and his mother. The central portion of the com pound is flanked by a small tomb of the Nawab’s daughter Zinat Asiya with its Jawab on the other flank The shah-n-sheen (raised platform ) of the Imambara is decorated wich zari, alam, tazia, panja, patka…
The lofty gateway of Bada Imambara Complex,popularly known as Rumi Darwaza, was constructed by Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula (A.D. 1775- 1797) after the design prepared by Kifayatullah. It is built of lakhauri bricks, lime plastered and decorated with plaster mouldings with occasional use of stone. The gateway takes the form of a huge wide archway along with double-storeyed octagonal pavilion on either side while the parapet has a magnificent facade of multi-foiled arches in a row along with a number of miniature domes. The gateway is further divided by three medium size arched gateways in a semi-circular fashion, while there is another structure when viewed from back side (east) on the top of the gateway,which shows a set of five doorways on each wall. The roof of this geometric structure culminates in a small platform crowned by an octagonal chhatri of red sandstone.
Husainabad Clock Tower is a clock tower located in the Lucknow city of India. It was constructed in 1881 by Nawab Nasir-ud-din Haider to mark the arrival of Sir George Couper, 1st Lieutenant Governor of United Province of Avadh. It was built at a cost of Rs. 1.75 lakhs.
It is located adjacent to the Rumi Darwaza, and is a perfect example to the artistic and structural skills of the Englishmen. Built in the year 1881, Husainabad clock tower is adjudged as the tallest among all the clock towers in India. it was built as a replica to the BIGBEN clock tower of london.
Roskell Payne designed this structure of 67 meter high and it reflects Victorian and Gothic style structural designs. Gunmetal is used for building the clock parts. It’s gigantic pendulum has a length of 14 feet and the dial of the clock is designed in the shape of a 12-petalled flower and bells around it.
The history of Residency can be traced back to A.D.1774 when Nawab Shuja-ud-Daula agreed to have a British resident stationed in Awadh. Residency was established at Lucknow when the capital of Awadh was shifted from Faizabad to Lucknow in the year A.D.1775 originally, the site of the Residency belonged to Sheikhzadas . Nawab Asaf-ud-Daula
started the construction of Lucknow Residency in the year A.D.1775 for the British resident and his staff which was completed by Nawab Saadat Ali Khan in A.D.1800 Gradually more buildings were added as their requirement grew.Later,. it was used by the Chief Commissioner of Awadh.
The beautifully preserved ruins of Residency, remind us of the First War of Independenceof 1857 , evidence of which can be seen on each and every structure of the Residency.These structures suffered heavy damages due to constant shelling and counter shelling during its 5 months’ siege by freedom fighters; some were completely razed to ground and are in ruins. The Residency complex today consists of ruins of several buildings. Each building has its own storey to tell about the event of A.D.1857.